Rumplestiltskin is based on a character of similar name from the fairytale, "Rumpelstiltskin". He also takes the place of the Beast from the fairytale, "Beauty and the Beast" and the crocodile from Peter and Wendy..
Rumplestiltskin was a happy wool seller/spinner until the Orge wars. After learning the future from a prisoner (the Seer) he injures himself and is sent home. There he leads the life he previously had only he is now branded a coward. After a few years his wife Milah meets a pirate, Killian Jones, and leave him along with is son Baelfire.
During the years to follow Rumplestiltskin summons the Dark One and cowers at the being's presence. When
the Dark One taunts him about Baelfire not truly being his son, Rumplestiltskin stabs the entity in a fit of blind rage. Rumplestiltskin's own name replaces that of it's previous owner's on the dagger, and he gains the powers of the Dark One.
A time gap passes, and Rumplestiltskin is promised a magic bean by a man named William Smee. Rumplestiltskin agrees and promises the man eternal life in exchange, but if the bargain is not met, he will age him to dust. Before leaving the bar, Rumplestiltskin sees Killian Jones enter with his crew and stays to follow after them. It is during this encounter that he learns his wife is Killian's Lover. After a lenghthy encounter Rumplestiltskin learns the real reason his wife left before preceeding to rip her heart from her chest and turn it to dust, thus killing her permanently. In an effort to regain the magic bean that his wife held from him Rumplestiltskin removes Killan Jone's left hand.
After another several time gaps we see Rumplestiltskin in a castle with Belle learning to be more than just the dark one but that eventually ends due to his obession with finding his son Baelfire. Creating the "curse" which brings them from the world of fairy tales to the world of non magic. It is later revealed in his life that his father gave him up to regain his youth....thus becoming "Peter Pan".
- His spoken phrase, "Tick-tock, dearie, tick-tock!" is a reference to the crocodile who swallowed a clock from J.M. Barrie's "Peter Pan".
- He spins gold out of straw frequently, though it is of no worth to him. Instead, Rumplestiltskin claims he does it to forget what he lost.
- Like all curses, Rumplestiltskin's curse of being the Dark One can be broken with a kiss of true love.
- Before he was imprisoned, Rumplestiltskin fought Cora and won. It is implied Cora came close to winning.
- He once made a deal with Don Juan.
- CONSIDERED FAE BECAUSE HIS APPEARANCE IS THAT OF A BEAST